Thursday, October 8, 2009

I Really Dislike The Plus Size...

I love and dwell in the fashion realm~
Runway shows play a major part in promoting designers creations and helping consumers make up their own minds on what will be hot for the upcoming season.
But, besides the clothing, there is another major factor in promoting clothing, and that would be the models you see strutting down 'The Walk of Dreams'.
This brings me to the term 'plus size model'.
I truly feel this word is harsh and I dislike it.
I've always wondered "Why can't the fashion industry see models as models and not put a label to them"?
Then, to make it worse fashion heads say women who wear size 10 and 12 are plus size. "Yes, you can laugh with me".
The first thing anyone thinks about when they hear 'plus' in terms of fashion is 'fat', which, by the way, is truly ridiculous.
I won't mention any celebrity names, but I know a few, and some women outside the entertainment world who wear size 10 and up. They are curvaceous but in ‘my hips are wider than my waist’ kind of way :-).
We shouldn't make women who wear 'double digit sizes' feel like they can't be glamorous. It should really be about the models that fit the criteria you want to bring to your collection and serving the many different silhouettes that walk amongst us.
A clothing collection can still be viewed as a High-End line with tags reading size 10, 12, 14 etc. People need to start realizing that this world is filled with women that are various shapes and sizes.
Sometimes I view it like politics, meaning Democrats and Republicans. Money over here and the rest over there. It's the same in the fashion world. The 0-4's are over here, and the rest of the sizes, over there.

How about we view them all as models that represent the different structures of the female body? If they fit the mold you are looking for, then great. If not, so be it.
I’m not trying to put down the size 8 and below women of the world, but is it fair how females who wear size 10 and up are labeled ‘plus size’, but yet there isn’t a label for the 0-2 or 4's? Ok, sure there is petite but that mainly represents a little or small body frame. But ask yourself, does it sound as harsh as 'plus size'?
How about I hold a go-see that caters to plus size models as well as models who have a daily intake of 800 calories? Is that better? Hopefully you get the picture.
After asking models of all shapes and sizes, I found the term 'plus size' still bares a
problem for most, but that they feel it just comes with the realm of fashion.

For the fashion industry to grow, this is something that has to change. I've seen beauty in the size 4's as well as the 14's, but I don't put one ahead of the other.
The truth is whether you like or dislike the term 'plus size' it comes down to labeling. If you’re going to label, label them all.
The fashion industry is into selling an image and that's fine, but it needs to rethink how it portrays the various sizes of women throughout the world.
Just a man’s point of view...
P.S. You see, beauty does come in different shapes and sizes...



Photobucket





Photos: From Google


16 comments:

  1. The fashion industry is long overdue for a change of the image of "beauty". The truth is whether you like or dislike the term plus sized, plump, voluptuous or full figured lol we are really the average size in America. They really should call them (0-4) minus. lol The first thing anyone thinks about when they hear "plus" is fat, and that’s not true I am anywhere between a size 12 to a size 14. Depending on the brand of clothing I buy. And I am called a plus size person. I am not over weight, but I am curvy. I don't care for labels. I think labels are ridiculous. Enjoyed your blog is really true
    ~Max~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog! Technically in the "fashion" world I'd been looked at as plus size...I am 4'11 but I have curves and my thighs are thick but to look at me you wouldn't say wow she must be plus size. I wear a size 10...and I am not ashamed. I love my body..sure its not perfect, but no one is. I applaud you for addressing this and letting the world know that you are going to be the one that will change the way fashion looks at women. We are all gorgeous in our own way and our clothes help bring out our "sekuteness" ...it shouldn't matter what "size" we wear...all that should matter is how we feel in the clothes we wear and it should make you feel fabulous!

    It is refreshing to see that Korporate Kutie may be what changes the way we look at fashion. I cannot wait to see what K.Kutie has to offer all of us fabulous women out there.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Refreshing concept. It's about time someone brought about the ring of change on the fashion world & it's stereotyping.
    If this is anything to go by - I can't wait to see what K.Kutie has in-store :-)
    GREAT blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you are doing!!! People forget the days when size 14 was sexy and beautiful to everyone. It wasn't that long ago either. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and everyone needs to be reminded of that from time to time. i also love the fact that you are catering to a wider audience because I am the simple jeans and tank top person and it's hard to find Kute stuff... Thank you so much!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that your going to show the fashion world that not all women are created equally. We come in all sizes and shapes and we are all beautiful in our own way. I happen to be a size 6 but that doesnt make me any better than someone who wears a larger size and that term plus insults all women. Keep it up and with what I know about you it's going to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think it's great that you are embracing what today's woman looks like - she isn't the zero or size two or four we see retouched and airbrushed and splashed on pages of high-fashion magazines. thankfully, there are some editors out there that do have the same feelings about what real women look like today - and who are finding success in this direction and have found an untapped audience. truth is real women do have curves, they like to eat, they have busy lives, and they like to look good. so look out world because the real women of today are here to stay and K.Kutie is here to help us look and feel oh sooooo gooooood. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. obviously I agree with all the comments already made- there seems to be a groundswell of changing opinions lately, with the recent Glamour magazine issues with plus size focus etc and more media attention. Congratulations on being a designer that is positioning yourself as being PRIMARALY focused on producing clothing for ALL sizes (as opposed to just doing a token gesture- as others have done) and recognising that a woman, in fact, is supposed to be curvy and soft- that is what makes us different from men! Looking forward to your upcoming work- keep it up- there is indeed a K Kutie in all of us! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love this blog, you’re so right,…
    I always disagreed the so called beauty norms, but I must admit I felt for het trap too and also tried to fit in.
    Lucky that those days are over. Not only because I accept it, but what is more important that I’m happy with my curves and my ‘double digit size’.
    To be honest I never thought about the LABEL ‘Plus Size’. That shows again, even that I never agree and know that it’s not right how brainwashed you can be about that skinny is the norm.
    You really make a statement here and I truly hope that the whole fashion industry will follow your point of view,…
    But of course K.Kutie will be that big that they have to,…;-))

    Well done,…

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, I don't understand why society has not yet realized that they are the reason why some many people have issues. If it weren't for their labels then the world would be a better place. It is sad b/c if you ask me a frail thin woman is not attractive. Just not. I don't like for people to see my bones...they are on the inside for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said...I totally agree. Normal women are in the double digits!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I agree with you wholeheartedly. The term "plus-sized" is not a necessary designation and is hurtful. Thanks for addressing this issue!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love this Blog.
    It is indeed a statement. Us women dont want to be labeled by narrow minded perspective of the money making moguls. I love being my size..voluptiously me. As recent as yesterday I went shopping for a sexy little dress to wear out to a friends birthday party and when trying on some a so called "XL" dress i liked it wouldnt go over my hips I nearly cried! time to fix this.. great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also love this Blog!!

    It really is truley wonderful that you are catering to ALL woman! I am excited to see all that you will do! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello my friend.....
    I think it is a beautiful thing you are bringing into this world of fashion. To think of not just one, but all type of women of all sizes and cultures. Your style and fashion is defenitely unique of course in it's own "Sekute". You are a man of style and structure... Keep reaching for the top, it defenitely is already yours in the making!
    Much love, respect and admiration...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you and totally luv this "We shouldn't make women who wear 'double digit sizes' feel like they can't be glamorous. It should really be about the models that fit the criteria you want to bring to your collection... A clothing collection can still be viewed as a High-End line with tags reading size 10, 12, 14 etc." Yes this world is filled with women of all sizes, backgrounds and cultures and that should definitively be shown of the 'cat walk' runway fashion shows. Is very hard for young women to see amazing dresses but they can wear them because they don't come in their sizes, or see them opening a magazine and see models with a body figure that does not represent them and are intended to make them feel inadequate and being unhappy with whom they are...Thanks for sharing this, not like it but love it!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really appreciate all the responses and I look forward helping bring fashion to another level. :)

    ReplyDelete

Would like to know your thoughts :)